What To Do In Case Of An Accident

What To Do In Case Of An Accident

“You’re the best!  You exceeded our expectations.  I knew that you always had my mom’s future needs in mind.”

Jocelyn Adkins, Bakersfield, California

You may think insurance companies act in your best interest.  They don’t.

Insurance companies will require that you complete claim forms, reports, unlimited authorizations for medical and wage information (not limited to the accident), and other paperwork—and may even request a recorded statement and Defense Medical Examinations (DMEs)—all of which may later be used against you.  Insurance companies often act quickly to deny your claim or encourage you to settle for a low amount before you have time to talk with a lawyer.  Kauffman Law Firm will handle your insurance claim promptly and professionally in your best interest.  We offer a free consultation so you have nothing to lose by contacting us first.

Read More: Why Call A Lawyer Immediately?

We have found that the following are the best practices to follow in case of an accident:

1. Report the accident to the police or other law enforcement immediately.

2. Use our form to record important information as soon as possible:

Make, model, color, and insurance company/policy numbers of all vehicles involved.

Name, address, and phone number of the other driver and/or any witnesses.

Photographs of vehicle damage including damage to the interior and undercarriage.

Photographs of your injuries, including bruises, cuts, and other visible injuries.

3. Everything you say may be used against you, including what you tell the investigating police officers, your doctors, and any insurance company.

You are not required to provide a written or recorded statement to any insurance company before you talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer.

4. You must provide complete and accurate information to all involved insurance companies—or your claim may be denied.

There may be several layers of insurance coverage and several different insurers involved in your case.  We will report the accident and your injuries to all involved insurance companies in writing.

5. Get proper medical evaluation and treatment for your injuries immediately.

6. Save everything related to the accident and your injuries.

7. Fill out an Accident Report from the Department of Public Safety within 10 days of any accident involving damages over $1,000.  This form can be located at www.dps.mn.gov.

8. Do not discuss anything related to your accident or your injuries on social media or with others.

9. Call us.  We offer a free consultation so you have nothing to lose by contacting us first.

Free Consultation

Email us at contactus@kauffmanlawfirm.com or

Call us at 507-285-5350 or 877-285-5350

Read More

Why Work With Us

What Our Clients Have To Say About Us