Layers of Auto Insurance Coverage

Layers of Auto Insurance Coverage

“I honestly think I need to credit some of my success in coaching to all of you and your generosity and willingness to give with no expectation of any return. That is something that has shaped my values today, and something I try to impress upon all of the youth I work with. So please know that you haven’t impressed these values on just me, but on every young person I work with… I can never thank you enough…”

James Hanson, Minneapolis, Minnesota

If you are injured in an motor vehicle accident, you may be entitled to losses including:

  • * Past medical expenses
  • * Past lost wages
  • ? Past pain and suffering??
  • Future medical expenses
  • Future lost earning capacity
  • Future pain and suffering

There may be several layers of insurance coverage and several insurers involved in your motor vehicle crash including:

Property Damage (PD)

Your insurance covering damage to your vehicle or personal property within your vehicle.


  • Your insurance covering Medical/Rehabilitation Expenses and Non-Medical
  • Expenses (Lost Income, Replacement Services, and Funeral Expenses).
  • Arising from the maintenance or use of a motor vehicle.
  • Minimum coverage = $20,000 for each coverage.

Read more:? Minnesota No-Fault:? How No-Fault Works


At-fault party?s insurance covering losses to you when:

1.???? That other party?s fault caused the accident.

2.???? You have met the No-Fault Threshold.

Read more:? Minnesota No-Fault: How No-Fault Works

Minimum coverage: Minnesota $30,000/$60,000

Iowa $20,000/$40,000

Wisconsin $25,000/$50,000

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)

Your insurance coverage covering losses similar to Liability insurance.

When at-fault party has no insurance.

Minimum coverage:?? Minnesota?$25,000/$50,000

Iowa $20,000/$40,000 but not required

Wisconsin $25,000/$50,000

Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM)

Your insurance coverage covering losses similar to Liability insurance.

When at-fault party does not have enough insurance.

Minimum coverage: Minnesota?$25,000/$50,000

Iowa?$20,000/$40,000 but not required

Wisconsin?$50,000/$100,000 but not required

Umbrella (PUP)

Excess coverage may be available beyond Liability (at-fault party?s insurance) or UIM (your insurance).

You need to understand and be aware of how these insurance coverages work together.?You also should review your own policies or consult with your insurance agent to insure proper coverage.

Tell us about your motor vehicle accident so that we may answer your questions and guide you through this difficult time.

We offer a free consultation, so you have nothing to lose by contacting us first.? For a free consultation:

Email us at or

Call us at 507-285-5350 or 877-285-5350

Other related topics on this website:

Read More:

Minnesota No-Fault:? How No-Fault Works

Iowa and Wisconsin:? Non No-Fault States

Why Work With Us

What Our Clients Have To Say About Us